The FBE funds grants to educators in the Belmont Public Schools to implement innovative programs and advanced technology that result in richer and deeper learning experiences for students.
- More than $3.6 million has been awarded in grants and assistance since 1993
- More than 800 projects have been financed
The FBE provides three avenues through which educators and administrators can seek funding for enrichment programs, curriculum, professional development, and technology. These include:
- Learning Excellence Grant Programs There is one online application form for all requests for Learning Excellence Grants. As of 2016, the $5,000 grant cap has was eliminated. Typically, smaller grant requests benefit a single classroom and larger ones benefit a larger number of students or a grade/subject area. Funding is subject to availability, as well as a comparison of other grants during the cycle. Based on funding, partial grants may be awarded. There are two grant cycles each academic year, one in the fall and one in the spring. A complete description of approved grants can be found in the Impact section. The Learning Excellence Grant Application in PDF format can be downloaded here.
- Special Initiatives This program funds large-scale projects that enhance the educational experience for the entire student body. Requests come from the Superintendent’s office. Special Initiatives typically include small capital projects, equipment purchases, facility improvements, and larger-scale curriculum programs.
- Professional Development The FBE is committed to supporting teachers and staff with ongoing professional development. Each year the BPS administration proposes a series of professional development initiatives, whose value is integral to the ongoing training of teachers and staff. The goal of professional development programs is to improve teachers’ knowledge and understanding of what constitutes quality instruction while linking improvements in teaching to progress in student achievement.